ENGINEER MECHANICAL 3
NN SHIPBUILDING (0265)
Newport News-Virginia-United States
External Job Description
Candidate should have extensive experience with mechanical infrastructure, building systems and machinery in a heavy industrial environment in the following or related areas: utility and process piping, chilled water, steam, compressed air, pumps, compressors, chillers, fans, fire protection systems, HVAC, process ventilation, fire alarm systems, sprinkler, and production equipment. A thorough understanding of applicable Codes along with experience in troubleshooting and root cause analysis is required. Strong leadership, project management, organizational skills, communication and computer skills (example: MS Office) are essential. Ability to address technical, quality and business aspects of a project is essential. Ability to work independently and lead cross-functional teams in accomplishment of complex tasks is required.
Specific to this position:
Will need a Subject Matter Expert (SME) with Mechanical Piping Systems. Mechanical Piping System Engineer will be required to:
• Develop an effective teaming relationship with the System Operator
• Troubleshoot system problems
• Provide engineering resolutions for system problems/configuration changes
• Produce or oversee the development of technical documentation that govern the system design, configuration, and operation
• Develop a long range strategic plan for the system
• Participate in the development of planned maintenance requirements
• Support resolution of unplanned events
• Participate in project implementation process for system related projects
• Oversee project/system testing to ensure system meets technical requirements and operates at peak performance
Position requires specialized skill and experience with low and high pressure piping systems and mechanical nuclear support piping systems. Additional expertise required in Plant Operating Systems related to Air Compressors, Electric and Diesel Power Pumps, gas farms, and piping distribution systems.
Knowledge of B31 Power Piping codes and experience with oxygen/propane gas systems is required. Additional responsibilities to include energy management and analysis of utility usage. Position would be responsible for developing and managing energy savings projects for department.
Researches, plans, designs and develops mechanical products and systems such as instruments, controls, robots, engines, machines and mechanical, thermal hydraulic or heat transfer systems for production, transmission, measurement, and use of energy. Applies research to the planning, design, development, and testing of mechanical and/or electromechanical systems, instruments, controls, engines, and/or machines.
O46: Plant Operations
US Citizenship Required for this Position
Relocation assistance will be available
5 Years with Bachelors in Science; 3 Years with Masters; 0 Years with PhD.- Newport News Shipbuilding requires a Bachelor’s Degree in engineering from an ABET accredited program.
• Mechanical Engineering degree with a Professional Engineering (PE) registration is preferred
• Knowledge of B31 Power Piping codes and experience with oxygen/propane gas systems is preferred
• Heavy industrial facilities experience is preferred
• Shipyard/Nuclear facilities experience is desirable
Huntington Ingalls Industries is America’s largest military shipbuilding company and a provider of professional services to partners in government and industry. For more than a century, HII’s Newport News and Ingalls shipbuilding divisions in Virginia and Mississippi have built more ships in more ship classes than any other U.S. naval shipbuilder. HII’s Technical Solutions division provides a wide range of professional services through its Fleet Support, Mission Driven Innovative Solutions, Nuclear & Environmental, and Oil & Gas groups. Headquartered in Newport News, Virginia, HII employs more than 40,000 people operating both domestically and internationally.
Equal Opportunity Employer - Veterans/Disabled Welcome. U.S. citizenship required for most positions.
19-Mar-2020* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Launch your career - Create your profile now!Create your Profile
Loading some great jobs for you...